22 November 2018
Recipe: Asparagus and Mushroom Risotto
The Sauvignon Blanc Wines were judged with
Asparagus and Mushroom Risotto (match with Toi Toi Marlborough Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2018 Trophy Winner)
Presented by chef Michael Manners
- 1.5L chicken stock infused with 50g dried porcini mushrooms
- 150ml dry white wine
- 120g butter
- 1 small onion very finely diced
- 200g mushrooms diced and sliced (buttons, cups and portobello)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 asparagus spears (lightly steamed)
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 90g grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Heat stock, melt half the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the rice and coat with the butter, add the white wine, stir well and add the stock about 1 cup at a time, stirring all the time.
- Meanwhile sauté the diced mushrooms in olive oil until cooked, season with salt and pepper, put aside.
- Continue to add the simmering stock, stirring until the rice is cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
- Just before the rice is cooked add the asparagus stems, mushrooms, parsley, cheese and remaining butter.
- Check seasoning for salt and pepper.
- Serve with the asparagus tips on top as garnish and pour over any remaining stock (just a little!)